Thursday, July 3, 2014

A Return to Baker Street #221back


Most of my friends know of my obsession with Sherlock Holmes. It began with reading Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's classic works when I was a teenager. I still re-read them. Just can't get enough.

But when it comes to television, I wasn't impressed with the idea of setting the famous detecting duo in present-day London. The stories are firmly set in Victorian London and in my strong opinion, that's where they belong!

Until I broke down and decided to watch the first episode of this new modern retelling of Sherlock Holmes starring Benedict Cumberbatch (who?) and Martin Freeman (isn't he a Hobbit?). Yeah, I'm usually a year or so late when it comes to new movies/television series. I suppose I wait until I hear about it so often from other people that I figure that if its caused such a buzz, it'll be worth taking a look. When I saw Sherlock was available on Netflix that I decided to give it a watch.

That was back in December.

OMG! I'm so glad I did. I had no idea what I was missing! The show is like a drug on which I'm happily and unabashedly addicted. I seriously cannot get enough, just like the books!

Being a contemporary adaptation, it doesn't follow any particular story from the books like other movies do. It's difficult for any book to be translated into a movie anyway. It's more like this show is heavily influenced by the books. The writers, Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat, (both of whom I greatly admire!) take the characters from the book and place them in modern day London where there's all sorts of mystery and mayhem for them to experience! And they must have fun writing these episodes! They are creative and brilliant!

Sherlock Holmes is a consulting detective and John Watson is an Army doctor returned to England from the war in Afghanistan. The show also includes Mrs. Hudson, Irene Adler, Mycroft Holmes, Mary Watson, and of course, James Moriarty!

It's not just the mystery that pulls me into this show, but the interaction with the actors. The believable and well-drawn characters, the sharp dialogue, the quick glances, the humor, the shared friendship, the breathtaking excitement and suspense, and the devastating heartache. Oh, I could go on about why I like the show, but it's the same with the books. You've just got to experience it for yourself. And I encourage you! If you haven't read the books, give them a try! And if you haven't watched the show, well...what are you waiting for? There's 3 seasons available for you to get caught up!

I'm beyond thrilled to discover confirmation for Season 4! They're planning to air a Special which will begin filming in January 2015, with 3 more episodes which will be filmed later that year.

The waiting is, of course, horrible. Unlike most other fans, I actually didn't have to experience the wait long to watch Season 3 since that aired only a few short weeks in January after I got caught up on Netflix. Oh, I was so thankful, too! I don't think I could have managed waiting for long after watching the ending of Season 2!

Now I'm along with everyone else...waiting...waiting...

At least I'll have Doctor Who in August to fill a little of that void in my life.



Here's a little clip I found on YouTube. This is the Prequel to Season 3.



2 comments:

  1. If you want a treat of all treats, watch "Elementary." It is the extraordinary Jonny Lee Miller creating, what for me, is the most amazing depiction of Sherlock Holmes I've ever seen. I too have always loved that character and watched every series as it arose. But I can't image one getting better than "Elementary." There are two series available, a third to come this fall. See what you think. By-the-by, Cumberbatch and Miller are great friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh, I haven't heard of that show. And I'm a Jonny Lee Miller fan, too. I'm definitely checking that out. Thanks for telling me!

      Delete