Thursday, September 29, 2016

#BookReview: The Bewitching Tale of Stormy Gale by Christine Bell #steampunk

The Bewitching Tale of Stormy Gale by Christine Bell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

 London, 1841

There I was, retired from time pirating, enjoying a full if somewhat conventional life as a wife and mother. Then a chance encounter with a stranger drew me back into a world I'd thought I'd left, quite literally, in the past. From his odd behavior and even odder answers to my questions, I knew Phineas Grubb was up to something. I should have trusted my instincts—before he pulled out a time-travel mechanism and dragged my brother, Bacon, back with him...

Salem, 1698

The infamous Witch Trials may have ended a few years earlier, but the people of Salem are still pretty touchy about outsiders that appear in town as if by magic. Thanks to Grubb, my brother's been accused of witchcraft and thrown in jail. Now it's up to me and my husband, Dev, to save Bacon's bacon before the hysteria starts up again, and the course of history is altered forever...


This novella is the sequel to The Twisted Tale of Stormy Gale which I also reviewed.

My Review:
Although you could probably read these out of order without getting too lost, I highly recommend you begin with the first. There, we meet all the major characters and we get to fall in love with Dev, who becomes Stormy's husband. The first story is definitely in my opinion a romance, the second I can't quite label as such. Dev and Stormy are already married with a precocious daughter in this book, but I was pleased to visit this world and these wonderful characters again.

Ms. Bell's writing style is riveting. From the very beginning, I'm pulled into Stormy's viewpoint where she takes me on an adventurous ride through time. With this journey she chases a suspicious time traveler back to Salem, Massachusetts, where the infamous witch trials are fresh in the memories of the residents. There she must save her brother who has been arrested as a witch, an event that threatens to ignite another mass hysteria of witch hunts. Stormy and Dev need to save Bacon and stop the rogue time traveler from messing up the events of history.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story just as much as the first. As of this moment, I don't see any more books published in this series, but I certainly hope that changes sometime in the future. I'd love to read more of Stormy's time-traveling adventures and snarky dialogue.

View all my reviews

More About This Book:

No comments:

Post a Comment