Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Publishing Paths #IWSG #writerslife


The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. 
The Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds! 
IWSG Asks: What publishing path are you considering/did you take, and why? 
When I started out the only path to publishing was through those industry giants in New York, the old gate-keepers of the publishing world. I began my journey by going to conferences and writing workshops, meeting with editors and agents and sending in my manuscript submissions upon request. I was fortunate to receive many positive rejections which I was assured by other writers was not the norm. Considering I was barely 20 years-old, I took that as a good sign that I was on the right track.



Then the internet erupted with the indie publishing revolution changed the landscape of the publishing world forever. An author friend, Catherine Bybee, whom I met on MySpace (remember that one?) recommended a small press publisher called, The Wild Rose Press, and the rest as they say is history. I have several of my romances published through them, but I also have a few short stories that have been published since by indie publishers.



One of my closest author friends, Ash Krafton, is urging me to go indie on my own and I believe that is the new path in my future. I think I'll be happy being a hybrid author although the process does feel intimidating. It's validating for me when an editor or publisher accepts your work and gives you the thumbs up that it's good writing with a marketable story. To self-publish is to declare to the world that I have complete confidence that my story is amazing without any acceptance from anyone in the industry. That's a confidence that I greatly admire in my self-published friends. Also, it's a costly endeavor, one that I hope to have the funds for one day soon.




In this startling new world, there are many paths for a writer to take. Not only are there indie and traditional publishing, but there are different formats for your writing to consider, it's not just print and ebooks now, but audio books, too. Who knows what else the future might hold?

I'm also open to the idea of screenwriting one day. In my younger days, I thought it would be the coolest thing ever to write an episode for one of my favorite TV shows like Doctor Who or Supernatural. Well, really, the first show I wanted to write for was Dark Shadows, but I was born too late for that one. Perhaps one day I might, even if it's a fan fiction version.



And, of course, writing alone is only one piece of the pie. Perhaps one day I'll hold a workshop or become a speaker for a writer's group. Teaching others about writing is a possible path, too. Maybe posting a YouTube video or two on writing. Who knows? I'm keeping my options open for my writing future.


Be sure to visit the other writers in the 

I write sensual paranormal and historical romances. Interested in learning more about my stories? Become a VIP Reader by signing-up for my newsletter where you'll learn about my new book releases, updates on my works-in-progress, writing tips, book reviews, contests, and other fun book-related info!

Happy Writing!
~ Tricia 

5 comments:

  1. We do have so many choices these days and it seems like more are cropping up every day. I've worked with several hybrid publishers and they have been pretty good about saying, "You may want to rethink this story." That said, for any type of self or hybrid publishing a talented editor is the difference between success and failure and worth every cent of their fees. I loved Dark Shadows and will look forward to your fan fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that authors have so many options available to them these days.

    Happy Writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Wild Rose Press is my small publisher, too. :) I'm glad I started with them, but I will also be branching out and trying new things. I like that authors can do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't need to be a best selling author to be an expert. There are lots of folks out there who would love for you to share what you've learned about writing. Maybe volunteer for a presentation at a school to get your feet wet.

    ReplyDelete