Friday, August 9, 2019

Life Beyond Writing #MFRWAuthor #writinglife



Blogging is an opportunity for authors to connect with readers. Despite being writers, blogging is an entirely different style of writing and often stumps us. To help our authors blog consistently, thoughtfully and with purpose, Marketing for Romance Writers is announcing the 2019 Blog Challenge. Each week, authors use our writing prompt to create a meaningful blog post. We'll be posting every Friday... join us as often as possible.

Week 32"For an author, does life exist outside of writing?"



Writing is a reflection of life. And life is why I write. When I was a teenager, I turned to writing to sort through the trauma of losing my mother at a young age. Although I didn't realize it at the time, all of the heroines in my stories during those years lost their mothers, too. Many of the stories that I wrote dealt with those characters trying to find their way through life after such a life-altering experience.

Even as an adult, I find that many of my stories reflect certain issues that I might be dealing with at that certain moment in my life. Sometimes I don't even realize I'm writing it. My subconscious often weaves those things in without my notice. I usually don't see it until later.

Also, there are some characters, settings and details that are inspired by real life. In The Witch's Thief, the hero, Basil Merriweather, breaks into a wealthy estate to use the vast amount of ornate mirrors inside to cast a spell. That setting was inspired by the beautifully decorated castles and manor houses that I toured while on visiting Germany one year.

A Whisper from the Grave, that is due to be published this fall, takes place in New Orleans, Louisiana. Again, I was inspired by the sights of St. Jackson's Square to describe my characters and that setting.

In Cupid's Arrow, a short story included in A Wink and a Smile, the main characters meet at a wedding. This particular story was inspired by one of my Waldenbooks co-worker's wedding. As I sat at the round table, observing the guests with my writer's mind, the story started and evolved. I might not have even created these characters or this story if I hadn't gone to this wedding.

For me, life feeds my writing.




Happy Writing!
~Tricia




Be sure to visit the posts for the MFRW's Blog Challenge!


I write sensual paranormal and historical romances. Interested in learning more about my stories? Sign-up for my newsletter where you'll learn about my new book releases, updates on my works-in-progress, writing tips, book reviews, contests, and other fun book-related info!
You can Follow me on ...

1 comment:

  1. I understand what you mean. I realized lately that my heroines often find themselves trapped and resentful. I need to break out of that rut.

    ReplyDelete