Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Adjusting to Changes #Covid19 #Quarantine #IWSG #books


The first Wednesday of every month is officially 

The Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It's a safe have for insecure writers of all kinds!

IWSG Asks: The IWSG's focus is on our writers. Each month, from all over the globe, we are a united group sharing our insecurities, our troubles, and our pain. So, in this time when our world is in crisis with the covid-19 pandemic, our optional question this month is: how are things in your world?

I've actually been contemplating writing a post about my thoughts on covid-19 and this gives me another reason to write it. Thank you, IWSG, for supporting writers everywhere!

My thoughts are with the world right now. My heart goes out to all those suffering. This virus has affected all of us to some degree. Our lives are different now. It won't be like this always. I don't like to say things will get better because for some of us, lives will be forever changed. But we will move on. Life always does. So, saying that, I want to wish you all the best of blessings and that you stay safe and healthy, and your friends and family stay safe and healthy, too!


Working in my "office" which is the sofa in the living room
with my laptop, my cat, and my son watching Paw Patrol.
For me, working as a full-time author and mother, my life hasn't changed in any drastic measures. I am extremely grateful and realize how lucky I am considering there are many others out there that are not in the same situation. 

My four kids are home from school. For how long, we don't yet know. This affects my writing time. I write when they're at school, so I've had to alter my schedule. But to be honest, it's no different than when they're home on summer vacation. So it hasn't been a great upheaval. I write in the early morning when they're still sleeping. Or most of them, anyway. I don't write as much or as long, so my production is not where I want it to be. I'm not getting as much done, but I know that will change eventually and I'm trying not to stress about it.

Meetings and appointments are cancelled. No more Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts or Cub Scouts. No sports or activities. No hanging out with friends or window shopping anymore. So, that's changed. But not by much. I'm a single mom with four kids. At the moment, my income is extremely small. We barely get by. Having money to take trips and go shopping isn't part of our normal routine. In fact, having my kids home has saved me money. I don't need to give my kids money to go to school dances now. I don't have to pay for any fundraisers or field trips. I don't have to buy extra food for packed lunches for the Scouting events. And since I have nowhere to go, I don't have to pay for gas. 

I'm still trying to look for the positives in this difficult situation.


My grocery shopping has changed. I don't just pop into the nearby Giant to get a gallon of milk every other day now. My kids eat a lot! I'm trying to teach them how to ration food so I don't need to keep shopping so often. Ideally, I'd like to go once every two weeks, but so far I've only made it ten days. I'm also hoping this will teach them how lucky they truly are to have things like food. To appreciate what they have and not complain about not having more, more, more.

Instead of going to the park for a walk or playground time, we take walks in the cemetery. There usually aren't a lot of people there. My kids can run, get fresh air and sunshine. Again, this isn't unusual for us. I've spent many days walking around the local cemeteries. As an introvert, there are some days where I don't need to socialize, but I still want to get outside. 

Personally, my anxiety and depression have spiked. I'm very empathetic. I feel a lot of the emotions around me. Even though my life hasn't changed too much, I know others are suffering greatly and that pains me. I worry about my friends and family. I worry about my Facebook friends who have posted that they're ill. I worry about my favorite actors and actresses. I worry about strangers I've never met. I'm worried about my readers and you! Seriously, if you're reading this, whether you know it or not, you're important to me, too. I hope you're well and safe!

My writing has suffered. It's difficult to write feel-good romance when you're depressed. After the first week, I switched stories realizing that I wasn't getting anywhere with my current WIP. Then when I started stalling on that second one, I realized I just needed to take a break. I walked away from writing for a few days. 

Instead, I dove into reading. Like reading for hours, which is something I haven't done in a looong time. I'm so busy all the time with writing and the business of writing and marketing my books while raising and caring for my kids that I only read for enjoyment while I'm waiting to pick up my son from preschool and for a little while before bed. 

It felt really good to read a whole book in one sitting again. I haven't done that in so long, I can't even remember how long. Since I became a single mom, for certain. But even before that, I was so busy trying to keep my life together that I didn't have time to read for enjoyment and relaxation. And I needed it. I didn't even realize how badly I needed it. To simply lose myself in another world for a while. To forget about the troubles of this real world and the threat of virus and uncertainty. 

Doing this, losing myself in reading again, has really made me think.

Is someone else out there, wanting, maybe needing, to escape the real world and choosing my book as the vehicle for their escape? Are they grieving? Are they overworked? Exhausted? Worried? Anxious? Depressed? Or just needing to think of something else, anything else, for a short time? Maybe they just need a short diversion. Maybe they need something more in-depth and involved. Could the choice be down to picking up a book or picking up a bottle? Maybe something worse? I've heard others say how reading books have quite literally saved their lives in one way or another. And I've heard others say how reading kept them sane during tough times. I, myself, used reading (and writing) as therapy after I lost my mom when I was a kid. 

Books are important! Reading is important!

Keeping this in mind has given me the motivation to get back to my writing with a new sense of purpose. I'm not a doctor or a nurse. I'm not a politician or a teacher or a grocery worker. 

I can't save the world.

But the one thing I'm good at, the one thing I know I can do is create entertaining stories. I write romance novels where happily-ever-after is a guarantee. That's something we're not promised in the real world. But I can write those stories for readers. 


Or King! ;)
I have no idea if anyone will ever read my books and say how much it helped them get through tough times, but if there is even one person, then I feel it's worth it to keep writing.

This virus has impacted us all in some way or another. If you're a writer, struggling for a reason to write, as I was, maybe this blog post will help you. Maybe it will be enough to keep you writing, too. 

Someone out there needs to read your book. Someone needs to escape the world for a little while. Your book might be just the thing they need at just the time they need it.

Be safe! Stay healthy! Keep writing!


~ Tricia 


Be sure to visit the other writers in the 

I write sensual paranormal and historical romances. Interested in learning more about my stories? Become a VIP Reader by signing-up for my newsletter where you'll learn about my new book releases, updates on my works-in-progress, writing tips, book reviews, contests, and other fun book-related info!


You can Follow me on ...



Need a little escape? Check out these new books!

Loving Boone: A Cougar Shifter Paranormal Romance (Cougar Shifter Series Book 1) Kindle Edition  Mermaidia: A Limited Edition Anthology Kindle Edition  Heart of a Phoenix: A Limited Edition Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy, and Reverse Harem Collection Kindle Edition

4 comments:

  1. You are a brave woman! Four children! Glad you've found your reading muse again! Good for these uncertain times...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to escape into story. Reading or writing, it didn't matter. Now, my concentration kind of sucks. I'm lucky if I can get lost for an hour. Small blessings.

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the luxury of reading a book in a single sitting. I did that, once or twice in my lifetime. Listen, taking care of your kids and yourself is the number one priority right now. Writing comes when it comes.

    Love the Liz Taylor quote. She has many words of wisdom. I have her quote, taped to my laptop: “Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together.” It has served me well.

    Stay strong, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's just plain difficult to write under these circumstances. It's like we're all in lockdown limbo, no release date. But you're right about people needing an escape and who better to give it to them than writers? This is exactly the time when people need stories, including feel good happily ever after romances.

    ReplyDelete