Friday, October 9, 2009

More than one book at a time

Usually I stay focused on what I'm reading, something my mom taught me. I'll read one book to the end, even if I feel like tossing it across the room since the ending might just redeem it. Once it's finshed, I'll start another. Within the last three years, I've starting reading two at a time. One fiction and one non-fiction. I found it was easy enough to do, since the storylines never clashed! And I could read the non-fiction book while I watched my kids since I don't need to focus alot on what I'm reading. When I read fiction, I feel like it needs my undivided attention and I reserve that for my reading time AFTER the kids go to bed.

It worked for a while. Now all of a sudden, I'm compelled to start reading two or three other books, as well. Don't know what that's about. And as much as it bothers me since I see it as a distraction, at the same time I'm finding it quite useful. I have one book upstairs, one downstairs, one in my purse for when I leave for work...you get the idea. I think my problem might be that there are sooooo many books I want to read and soooo little time, especially now that I've gone back to work. :-(

Then there's my husband who looks at the hundreds of books on my to-be-read list and says "What happpens if you die before you finish reading all of these?"

:-O

That question horrified me! After yelling at him for uttering such a negative phrase and for even thinking it in his brain, it really got me thinking about my reading choices. There are so many good authors out there with wonderful stories to tell. So many books I need to read. Not want. NEED! Yes, I'm a bookaholic. Maybe I need therapy. But I know I'll go crazy if I don't have a book in some stage of the reading process. And then there are the non-fiction books. Since I never went to college, I feel like I'm self-educating myself with reading so many different subjects. I'm actually learning a great deal about many things my college friends never did. I'm fascinated with so much, it's hard to narrow it down to a favorite, but I do know this...I really enjoy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment