Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Review: Black Magic Sanction by Kim Harrison

Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8)Black Magic Sanction by Kim Harrison


Rachel Morgan has fought and hunted vampires, werewolves, banshees, demons, and other supernatural dangers as both witch and bounty hunter--and lived to tell the tale. But she's never faced off against her own kind . . . until now.

Denounced and shunned for dealing with demons and black magic, her best hope is life imprisonment--her worst, a forced lobotomy and genetic slavery. Only her enemies are strong enough to help her win her freedom. But trust comes hard when it hinges on the unscrupulous tycoon Trent Kalamack, the demon Algaliarept, and a lowlife ex-boyfriend-turned-thief.


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Rachel's in a mess again. Accused of being a black witch, she's been shunned by the Coven. Now she's running and fighting for her life as they try to lobotomize her. I always enjoy reading about Rachel Morgan. Kim Harrison's writing is fast-paced, full of detail and leaves me breathless. I get completely sucked into her world, hating the moments I have to step away to do stuff like eat and sleep. And, predictably, I was hooked from the very first scene of Rachel in Algaliarept's kitchen, learning to twist a curse. Black Magic Sanction also brought back a character I've been longing to see again ever since I was first introduced to Rachel Morgan. Pierce has been a favorite of mine since he was introduced as a ghost in Ms. Harrison's short story, Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel from the anthology Holidays Are Hell. Although he appeared again in White Witch, Black Curse, I was happy to learn more about him and his past in this story. And then there's Al. I have a soft spot in my heart for this deadly demon. Maybe it's his British accent? Whatever it may be, I enjoy the power struggle between Rachel and her demon teacher. And Jenks! My favorite pixie! Oh! Prepare yourself! I try not to give spoilers, but get your tissues ready for this one!

First line:
Tucking my hair back, I squinted at the parchment, trying to form the strange angular letters as smoothly as I could.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment