Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Review: Just Like Heaven by Julia Quinn

Just Like Heaven (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #1)Just Like Heaven by Julia Quinn


Honoria Smythe-Smith is:
A) a really bad violinist
B) still miffed at being nicknamed "Bug" as a child
C) not in love with her older brother's best friend
D) all of the above

Marcus Holroyd is:
A) the Earl of Chatteris
B) regrettably prone to sprained ankles
C) not in love with his best friend's younger sister
D) all of the above

Together they:
A) eat quite a bit of chocolate cake
B) survive a deadly fever and the world's worst musical performance
C) fall quite desperately in love

It's Julia Quinn at her best, so you know the answer is ...
D) all of the above.


My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Let me just say, I adore Julia Quinn's writing. Simply adore it! I fell completely in love with the Bridgerton family (Romancing Mister Bridgerton was my first introduction to Ms. Quinn and therefore will mostly likely always hold a special place in my heart!), so much so that I was conflicted with a mix of happy/sad feelings when that series ended. Now, however, I'm so pleased to see the Smythe-Smith's have a few stories to tell in this series that is closely linked with the Bridgerton's and takes place during the same timeline.

Marcus's and Honoria's story is filled with the same powerful emotions, snappy wit and dialogue, and laugh-out-loud fun that Ms. Quinn's writing has become famous for. This was a joy to read! Her characters are so well-written, they nestle close to your heart until what makes them happy, makes you happy...what gives them pain, gives you pain. I cried with this one, so I recommend tissues to those sensitive readers. It's a wonderful, powerfully emotional romance that leaves you smiling!

First line:
Marcus Holroyd was always alone.

Smythe-Smith Quartet:
Just Like Heaven (2011)
A Night Like This (2012)
The Sum of All Kisses (2013)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment