Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween Memories

Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays! Even more so as an adult than when I was a child. All that trick-or-treating when I was a kid was great fun. I loved dressing up in fun costumes, getting together with family and friends to go door-to-door in our neighborhood filling our bags, baskets and plastic pumpkins with yummy treats and candy. What kid doesn't like Halloween just for the candy end of it? But, that wasn't all. I loved the spookiness of Halloween. The scary feeling of ghosts around every corner and the vampires-and-werewolves-could-be-real feeling.

I was looking through my photograph albums this afternoon and I came across these pictures of a Halloween Trick-or-Treat night when I was a kid. Does anyone else remember these types of costumes from the '80's? There I am as Strawberry Shortcake and my brother as a Smurf. I laugh thinking about Trick-or-Treat night. As much as I loved it when I was around this age, I was also scared to death of some of the scary costumes people wore. One Halloween spent with my uncle and grandparents I remember being so excited that I was going to hand out candy to the kids who knocked at the door. It was such fun! And I'd go running to the door when they knocked, a big grin on my face. Only as soon as we opened the door,
I'd take one look and turn around and run away. I guess it's typical for kids to love and fear this holiday.

My own children love Halloween, but behave in a similar manner. They love getting dressed up in their pirate costumes or Star Wars costumes, but as soon as my husband drags out his zombie costume, my two youngest start crying right away. It's not even the scary mask that frightens them, but the gauzy material that wraps around the costume. Weird, but that's what they told me!

It looks like it's going to rain this evening, so our town's Trick-or-Treat night might be canceled. That won't stop my family from dressing up. We'll celebrate! Just love getting dressed up!

Happy Halloween!
~Tricia

No comments:

Post a Comment