Monday, June 30, 2014

Buying Books But Not Reading Them

As I was clicking through the internet the other day, a headline caught my eye called Books Bought but Rarely Read.

Now that's just silly, I thought. Who would buy a book and not read bother to read it?

Apparently, Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin is one of the most popular books bought but never read. Whoa! What a mistake for those unfortunate book-buyers! I read that book and loved it! They don't know what they're missing! 

Welll....

Considering I have over 1000 books on my TBR shelf (note: I said shelf, not TBR list, meaning I bought these books and that doesn't include the ones I have on my Kindle!), then I am guilty, too. Now, it's not that I have no intention of ever reading these books, it's just that for some reason or another, I've just never got around to it. Yet, there they sit, looking so majestic and beautiful on my shelf. I know there must be an adventure in there waiting for me!

The article I read specified that the books in the list were ones that readers started but never finished. However, I'm not that kind of reader. I'm not sure what compels me, but when I start a book I must finish it even if its terrible to the bitter end. Perhaps its my constant optimism. The book might have a fantastic ending! Very few readers feel the same way which I understand.

I glanced through my shelf to find some books that have been sitting there for quite some time, patiently waiting their turn to be read. Here's my list of 5 books that I bought but haven't read (yet!):

The Bronze Horseman by Paulina Simons: I bought this during my time working at the bookstore because my customers were saying it's like a Russian version of Gone With the Wind which I adore! Others compared it to Dr. Zhivago. Yet, for some reason or other I just haven't picked it up to read. Yet!






Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry: My mom read this book and loved it! When the television
mini-series aired in the 1980's starring Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones as the two main characters, I watched alongside my mom, completely absorbed in the plot and characters. I loved it, too! The reason I haven't read the book yet...have you seen how many pages are in that thing? Close to 1000! Considering I read about 50 pages an hour, that'll take me...quick math, oh, about 20 hours to read. And I just know that this will be a book that I won't want to put down. But, I'm still trying to find 20 hours of free time. Yeah, I know. That's a lame excuse.
Anything written by Nicholas Sparks: This man must be some sort of romantic, tragic genius. While working at the bookstore, I sold so many of his books to customers that it almost became a joke. Along with the Harry Potter books, I just kind of got sick of hearing about him. Unfortunately, my annoyance built a wall in my mind. I just can't bring myself to read his books. Yet, I bought quite a few. Rather tragic in itself. Add that to the fact that I know I'll cry while reading... Well, I don't want to cry while I'm reading. My eyes get puffy and red and people look at me funny. How to explain? So sadly, I encourage others to read Nicholas Sparks because I have it from reliable sources that his books are excellent, but just maybe not for me.
Skye O'Malley by Bertrice Small: Every romance reader has read Bertrice Small's books. They often
talk about her characters like they're real people. So much so that before I knew better, I thought Skye O'Malley was the author! I learned a lot while working at the bookstore. Knowing that I'll probably be hooked on her books, I decided to wait until I had them all before I started reading.
The Dark Tower series by Stephen King: I have a love/hate relationship with Stephen King (and J.K. Rowling, but that's another story). I love King's writing. It really sucks the reader into the story so much that the rest of the world fades away. Why do I hate him? Because his writing sucks the reader into the story so much that the rest of the world fades away. Mr. King, I have writing of my own
to do and a lot of housework. Why must you write such addicting stories?
So there's my list. It's rather short. But, I don't usually have a reason NOT to read a book.

What books have you bought and not read yet?

 

5 comments:

  1. O' I am so glad that I am not the only one who has more than 1000 books waiting for me to read...on my kindle that is...and yes, I drool at each and every cover illustration...for the past few months, some reason I stop reading my books that are on my kindle...it's not the same as holding one in your hands, getting coffee stains and candy crumbs on them and being able to write your thoughts about the story you are reading...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people don't believe me when I say I have that many books to read! But it's true! Like you, I'm an avid reader. I just wish I could read faster! Regarding Kindle vs print, I bounce between the two all the time. At times, I just want to hold a real book in my hands. Whatever I'm in the mood for!

      Delete
  2. I have 3500 books in my kindle, and I keep buying more books, knowing I won't get around to them. These days, I'm scarfing up boxed sets. It's an obsession but I will never be able to finish the books I have. Sad. But there's so many good books out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true!! I used to joke while I worked at the bookstore that I was stocking up my supply of books for my retirement days. I never imagined the bookstore would close before then! I'm glad I bought so many (having an employee discount was a huge benefit!), but now I own a Kindle and I keep buying more books anyway! lol

      Delete
  3. I have thousands of books I haven't read yet. People always ask me why I have all these books if I haven't read them. I just keep saying, "I'll get to them. I can only read so fast!"
    In all fairness, though, I didn't actually buy all these books. A lot of them I've found free at the library or I've won. The other half I've bought for really, really cheap. I would say less than 10% are books I paid full price for.

    ReplyDelete