Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Book Review ~ Shopaholic to the Stars by Sophie Kinsella #chicklit #humor




My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Becky Brandon (née Bloomwood) has stars in her eyes. She and her daughter, Minnie, have joined husband Luke in LA — city of herbal smoothies, multimillion-dollar yoga retreats, and the lure of celebrity. Luke is there to help manage the career of famous actress Sage Seymour — and Becky is convinced she is destined to be Sage's personal stylist, and go from there to every A-list celebrity in Hollywood! But things become complicated when Becky joins the team of Sage’s arch-rival. How will charming and supportive Luke deal with this conflict? Is it possible that what Becky wants most will end up hurting those she loves most? Shopaholic fans old and new will devour Sophie Kinsella's newest adventure!


Paperback, 496 pages
Published April 14th 2015 by Dial Press Trade Paperback

My Review:

This is book 7 in Ms. Kinsella's Shopaholic series and I've read each and every one. The first, Confessions of a Shopaholic, remains my favorite probably because it's the one in which I fell in love with her characters. I did enjoy Shopaholic to the Stars, but not as much as some of her other books in the series. It might be because I could only read it in desperate spurts of rare reading time as I was caring for my newborn son and the rest of my children home for summer vacation. I didn't get much free time this summer. Perhaps that's why I had trouble following Becky Brandon through her typically hilarious yet touching adventures. I didn't care much for the location change either. One of the reasons that drew me to Ms. Kinsella's books were because they were set in England, one of my favorite places and this one was set in California.


As for the writing, Ms. Kinsella does a wonderful job describing all the wonders of Hollywood that Becky experiences. She has a wonderful, easy-going way with words that makes her novels so much fun to read. I was happy to see a reunion of sorts with her characters as her best friend, Suze, followed Becky out to Hollywood with her husband Tarquin and kids. And Becky's father also followed along for different reasons. Becky becomes obsessed with her newest chosen career which leads to major complications with the ones she loves. I was happy to see that by the end of the book she had mostly all that sorted out. However, this book doesn't wrap up all the loose ends. Ms. Kinsella has left some very big threads still tangled which will probably see de-tangling in her next book, Shopaholic to the Rescue. I believe that book has a release date for October 2015. I've already pre-ordered it, so you can see that I'm committed to this series.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment