Monday, October 26, 2015

#BookReview ~ Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter #YA #paranormal

Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


She won't rest until she's sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.



Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. But that's all it takes. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.



Her father was right. The monsters are real.



To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn't careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies.

My Review:

I looked at this book about three times before I finally picked it up to read. The cover was eye-catching, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to read a YA novel at the time. However, the whole zombie storyline intrigued me, so I decided to give it a try. The beginning of Alice Bell's story really connected with me. Her family died, the people whom she loved most were lost to her and she had to come to grips with that reality. I felt her pain and her desolation. It was intriguing that her father could see monsters that no one else could see. After the tragic accident that killed her parents, Alice was able to see these same monsters, too.

I liked the story so far. It was a great premise. The beginning chapter really drew me into the story and I wanted to know more. Alice moved in with her grandparents and had to adjust to life without her family while attending a new school. When she meets Cole Holland, she experiences visions of their future together. This explains their instant attraction to each other. Alice, who now goes by the nickname Ali, gets to know the kids in school as well as the teachers and staff.

Ali begins to see zombies outside of her grandparent's house. Other things go on which lead her to believe that she might not be the only one who can see these monsters. Slowly, as the plot unfolds, she learns that Cole and his group of boys can not only see the zombies, but they fight them as well. Not only that, but they have a rival faction who wants to experiment with these zombies. All the while, Ali must figure out what her feelings for Cole mean and if they can have a relationship together while battling zombies.

I enjoyed reading about Alice and her struggle with dealing with the death of her family and battling the zombies. I liked that the zombies weren't re-animated corpses, but were the spirits of the people who had been infected with evil. It was a unique idea and that's why only very few people could see the zombie spirits. Only those people who had the ability to see into the spirit world. However, the thing that bothered me was that this particular school had so many members who could not only see the zombies as well as Alice, but were willing to put their life on the line to fight them. It seemed a bit of a stretch for believability.


This was the first book in the White Rabbit Chronicles. I'd also like to add that the story was written in first person point of view which I love to read. I'm interested to see what else is in store for Alice and her new friends, as well as her relationship with Cole.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment