Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Getting into the Writing Zone with Kids at Home #IWSG #writinglife


The first Wednesday of every month is officially 

The Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It's a safe have for insecure writers of all kinds!

IWSG Asks: Do you have any rituals that you use when you need help getting into the ZONE? Care to share? 

Yes! I'm all about rituals. Or habits. Or magical spells.

Getting into the ZONE is one of the easiest and equally most difficult things for me to do. Typically, I try to get my writing done first thing in the morning when my brain feels fresh and I have no distractions (aka my kids are still sleeping).

My morning routine remains relatively the same each day. Feed the kitty-cats. Make coffee or tea. Do some yoga and meditation. Eat breakfast. 

And then sit-butt-in-chair and write.

Now that my kids are home from school thanks to Covid-19, I usually have the mornings all to myself from 6am to sometime after 8am-ish. My 5 y/o is the alarm clock for the family. When he wakes up, everyone else wakes up and then our day truly begins. (This online schooling sucks, btw. Just saying.)

But while I have the house blissfully to myself, I can write and edit to my heart's content. To get into the ZONE, I re-read a brief section of the work I did the day before and then force myself to write. One word at a time. Then one sentence at a time. And one paragraph, and on and on.

It's not fun at first, but I have a ticking time bomb of when will my kids wake up hovering over me. It's a race of how much writing can I do before they wake and stop me? There are times when I come upon that elusive ZONE just by sheer force of willpower. Other times, it stays just beyond my reach. 

Since this is my job, however, I need to write more than an hour or two in the morning.

When I need to keep writing after a morning of chaos with my four children (breakfast, getting dressed, making beds, yes, of course you need to brush your teeth - and your hair! I don't care if we're not going anywhere today!), that makes it a little more tricky.


After my children are done taking turns sharing the school's borrowed Chromebook to do their lessons, they are free to play or cause whatever mayhem they can concoct (safely) while I use my earphones to block out the noise. Since I'm a single mom and have no one to help me with the kids, my writing desk is the sofa in the living room. I'm still there physically, at least, to prevent any major disasters. Mentally, if I'm lucky, I'm worlds away!

In this situation, I use music to help get into the ZONE. The music depends on the work-in-progress. I often create a playlist for the story I'm writing to help get me in the mood. Or I have a certain type of music for whatever subgenre I'm writing. Type O'Negative always works well for me when I'm writing gothic paranormals or dark suspense or I'll listen to classical music if I'm writing a historical or regency romance. Of course, Christmas music is perfect for a holiday romance. You get the idea.

I wish it was easier. The ZONE is a mystical place where the writing fairy blesses us and our fingers fly with something akin to a magical presence controlling us.

I'll be honest. There are many days that I don't achieve the ZONE. 

Those are sad days. 

But, the writing still needs to get done. Getting into the ZONE is like icing on the cake. Such deliciousness! But plain cake is still good, too.


Be safe! Stay healthy! Keep writing!


Tricia 

Be sure to visit the other writers in the 

I write sensual paranormal and historical romances. Interested in learning more about my stories? Become a VIP Reader by signing-up for my newsletter where you'll learn about my new book releases, updates on my works-in-progress, writing tips, book reviews, contests, and other fun book-related info!

You can Follow me on ...


Need a little escape? Check out these new books!


Loving Boone: A Cougar Shifter Paranormal Romance (Cougar Shifter Series Book 1) Kindle Edition Ice Princess: A Fated Mates Romance by [Tricia Schneider]  Mermaidia: A Limited Edition Anthology Kindle Edition  Heart of a Phoenix: A Limited Edition Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy, and Reverse Harem Collection by [Margo Collins, J. C. McKenzie, Gina Kincade, Erzabet Bishop, Kat Parrish, Angela Sanders, S. Cinders, Leigh Kelsey, Lily Luchesi, Dana Lyons]

7 comments:

  1. Tricia, you're an inspiration. I know you may not feel like one, but you are. I am all about magic too. And speaking of Mr. Gaiman. A dear friend got me the entire MasterClass videos! Yes! I still can't believe. I got them for my BD. Anyway, I digest. Good writing to you, Tricia. You're a mentor whether you realize it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, if magical spells work, do them, I say! :D

    Rereading a brief section always helps. And then music does the rest for me. I turn on a song or artist that inspires me for what I have to write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the best times for me to write is in the morning, before everyone else wakes up. Unfortunately, I have trouble getting up in the mornings and when I do finally get up and feed the cats and feed myself, it's getting close to wake up time for the rest of the family. Arghhh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nodding along all the way with this. I'm in a similar situation, but as well as the kids, we have six dogs in the mix! That includes my daughter's puppy, who's staying with us and sleeps upstairs. When I get up at five, she follows, so if I'm lucky she snuggles next to me on the couch and I can write for an hour - if I'm not, she wakes all the rest up. I so get what you mean about the zone, sometimes you're not in it but you have to do it anyway because the time is limited. I was struck by how your diverse your writing sounds in terms of genre too - it's good to have different options!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you're going a great job of working within the confines of the Covid-19 world! I agree that getting into 'The Zone' is nice, but not necessary. I find that the worlds are equally bad or good either way, and when I'm rereading, I can't tell which were written in a state of perfect flow, and which were like wringing blood from a stone. As long as words get on the page, that's a win!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Type O'Negative! Now there's a blast from the past. Shame the lead singer died.
    You are making the best of your situation. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first thing I picked up on is your self-discipline. Way stronger than mine. That is something I should work on. I have to stop making excuses. Period. And get on with things.

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete