Wednesday, November 2, 2011

November Writing

And so another year of NaNoWriMo begins! If you're a writer, you most likely have heard of National Novel Writing Month that takes place every November since 1999. The goal is to write 50,000 words from scratch within 30 days. That breaks down to about 1666 words a day. It's a great challenge to undertake with thousands of other supportive writers to help see you through to the end.

I've known of this challenge since around 2004 or so. I didn't join in until 3 years ago. I doubted my ability to focus on such a large word count within one month, especially while working retail during one of the busiest times of the year. Remember, Black Friday occurs in November!! I really wish they would have picked another month...maybe April. Really what else happens in April? Other than April showers, keeping us indoors anyway?

But three years ago, I joined with 2 other co-workers who were taking up the challenge, too. I figured, if they thought they could do it, so could I! And you know what? I did it!! I finished that 50,000 word novel. And this year, I plan to do it again.

And if I can do it, so can you! If anyone would like to become my writing buddy, my name is listed as Tricia Schneider. I welcome you to join me in this challenge. And though I've had a slow start to it yesterday, I'm determined to reach that word count goal. Good luck!

3 comments:

  1. This is my third year, never thought I'd be able to do it, but so far, so good! November is a rough month for me too, but I think it forces me to work harder so I can take the days I need without guilt. What I want to know is why can't I make it work all the time, lol? I can write nearly everyday in November, but harder to put it into practice the rest of the year...

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know!! I've tried the month-long writing thing earlier this year and it just didn't work for me. I think it might be because its a collaborative effort for all writers to be writing at the same time and watching that word count bar grow. It's my only guess. But, I'll still try during the rest of the year. If I can write a book a month, that's 12 books a year!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first year...wish me luck. I can't write a book a month--but darn it if I don't try!

    ReplyDelete