Friday, January 2, 2015

2015 Writing Goals


It's that time of year again! The time when we take stock of last year's accomplishments and plan ahead for the new year's goals.

Last year I planned to write 1000 words a day. Unfortunately, I fell short of my goal since I failed to write every day. However, I still managed to get a lot done with which I was pleased. This year, I'm going to renew my writing goal with 250 words a day. This is roughly about 15 minutes of writing time every day. I can't think of enough excuses to get out of this one. And these can be the crappiest 250 words I've ever written, just as long as I write them!

For me its all about keeping the habit of writing every day whether I feel like it, whether I think I have time for it, or not. My writing is mostly sporadic. I can write religiously every day for weeks. And then suddenly, for weeks I don't write a single word.

I have all sorts of excuses. Dirty dishes, dirty laundry, well, dirty house in general. Usually, this is the one that gets me. I can't stand seeing my house in such a messy state! But now that my children are getting older, I'm giving them chores to alleviate some of the burden from my shoulders. During the last 2 weeks (our trial run!), it seems to have helped a lot. Instead of picking up after everyone, putting stuff away, and constantly cleaning, I have a little more free time to work on those projects that have been sitting on my shelf for months/years. And with a husband who works long hours (and doesn't offer much in help at home) and 3 children (with another on the way), its an incredible relief to have help. My children are wonderful helpers! As long as they keep up with it!

Anyway, back to my goals. I've joined a group of like-minded writers on Facebook who are also committed to writing every day. I'm hoping that if I have to check in with them everyday, it will also help keep me motivated to get the writing done.

In addition to writing new words, I also have a list of manuscripts that I've been hopping to and from. This is typically how I work, as frustrating as it is. I work on one manuscript, then bounce to another. Eventually, they all get done, but it takes longer than if I just stuck with one at a time. Some need a bit of polish, some need more work, but I want to get them finished and sent off to my editor's desk. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have another contract or two by the end of the year.

Here's my list:

  • Write at least 250 words a day
  • Edit at least 5 pages a day 
  • Contemporary holiday romance
    8000
    3rd draft
    Urban Fantasy
    9000
    3rd draft
    Contemporary Paranormal Romance w/ghosts
    15,000
    Revisions needed
    Historical Pirate Romance
    15,000
    Revisions needed
    Historical Paranormal Romance w/witches
    25,000
    Finish 1st draft
    Paranormal Romance w/zombies
    65,000
    2nd draft
    Historical Paranormal Romance w/ghosts
    65,000
    Revisions needed 
    Historical Paranormal Romance w/ghosts
    65,000
    2nd draft
    Romance
    65,000
    New Story
    Romance
    20,000
    New Story
So, there it is! Possibly a bit ambitious. I think the editing and the revisions are far easier than the actual writing itself, so I know if I work a little every day this can be accomplished. Wish me luck!

Do you make a list of goals for the New Year? What are some of your goals for 2015?

No comments:

Post a Comment