Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Karma by Nadine Nightingale #UrbanFantasy #Witch #BookReview

Karma by Nadine Nightingale
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


People call me all sorts of names—bad girl, black sheep, and my all-time favorite...Satan’s bride. I could blame the fact I’m a witch for my behavior, but the truth is I’m infuriating, arrogant, and stab-worthy.

Alex Remington is a hunter and everything I’m not—righteous, honest, caring. We used to have a thing, but that was before he learned I’m a witch and tried to kill me.

Eighteen months later, he’s back in my life and we have a deal; I’ll help him save his brother and he’ll disappear from my life for good. But karma can be a real bitch…



 

My Review:
This book was awesome! It's a fast paced dialogue driven story about a witch and the hunter who has come to her for help with finding his missing brother. I was a little confused by the flashes at the beginning. It was unexpected. The witch, Amanda Bishop, can "see" certain things. But, after a while, those flashes flowed seamlessly into the story, adding depth and mystery. The hunter, Alex Remington, is gruff and bossy for most of the story, but he's been hurt by Amanda in the past. Amanda, also, tries to keep a wall between their attraction and emotions, by being the most smart-ass, sarcastic and sassy woman as possible. She's been hurt, too. Both of these characters have a lot of emotional baggage and neither one is dealing with it, but they come together to help find Jesse, Alex's younger brother and partner.

The character development was woven into the complex plot with snarky dialogue revealing hidden pasts and secrets. The witty and insulting banter between the main characters was entertaining. There is harsh language used, but it seems appropriate for the characters.

One thing that bothers me…the ending! Just left me wanting to turn the page for the next chapter, but that was it! No more pages. I'm guessing that Book 2 will continue Amanda and Alex's story. I hope so, anyway! There's so much still left unresolved! Being the romantic that I am, I really wanted to see them back together. I hope that happens! And I can't wait until they discuss the rest of those issues that were hinted at throughout the book. I have a feeling in the next book someone's soul needs saving! Oh, my!

This book is listed as a romance, but for me, to be classified as a romance, there must be some sort of relationship resolution at the end. This book ends without that. Very dissatisfying for a romance reader. Personally, I'd shelve this book in the urban fantasy genre. If I'd known that, I wouldn't have been so irritated by the ending since I wouldn't have expected the happily-ever-after I was waiting for.

*Warning*

There are some violent situations here that some sensitive readers might not handle well. Some very bad things happen to children which left me cringing in horror even as I read. Of course, by the end, the bad guys are punished, but it was still difficult to read those abusive scenes. Some readers might need a warning about this kind of content.

*Spoilers*
It's possible that I might be slightly (okay, let's be realistic-more than slightly!) obsessed with a popular TV show, but I'm feeling like this author is a fan, too. The two Remington brothers (Remington=also the name of a weapon), both working as hunters, driving a black muscle car, sleeping in sleazy motel rooms while chasing after all sorts of supernatural creatures. Alex, devoted to his brother, gruff and bad-mouthed jerk-face who tells Amanda to keep her hands off his radio. Jesse, his younger brother, is the kinder, gentler hunter, who is taller than his older brother, and has a more easy-going nature making him more people-friendly. This could totally be my own interpretation based on my own likes (and loves!). Whether intentional or not, these elements made me fall in love with Ms. Nightingale's story even more.
*End Spoiler*


I really enjoyed this book! So much that I re-read it immediately after finishing it. And I'll probably re-read it again when Book 2 is released. I highly recommend this book to readers who enjoy supernatural and paranormal fiction! This is a keeper and I truly can't wait for the next one!


View all my reviews

More About this Book:

No comments:

Post a Comment