Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Book Review: How to Make a Living as a Writer by James Scott Bell #writinglife #writingcraft #bookreview

How to Make a Living As a Writer by James Scott Bell

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It's the best time on Earth to be a writer

More writers are making money today than at any other time in history. For centuries few have been able to support themselves from the quill or the keyboard alone.

Not anymore. With the rise of ebooks and indie publishing there are now more opportunities than ever for writers to generate substantial income from their work. And there is still a traditional publishing industry that needs new talent to keep growing.

In How to Make a Living as a Writer, you'll learn the secrets of writing for profit and increasing your chances of making a living wage from your work. Here are some of the subjects covered:

- The 7 Secrets of Writing Success
- The 8 Essentials of Your Writing Business
- How to Reach Your Goals
- Keys to a Winning System
- How to Stay Relentless
- Unlocking Your Creativity
- How to Write More, Faster
- Comparing Traditional and Self-Publishing
- How to Go Traditional
- How to Go Indie
- How to Form Multiple Streams of Writing Income
- How to Write a Novel in a Month
- How to Choose Non-Fiction Subjects
- How to Keep a Positive Mental Attitude
- Resources for Further Study

And much more, all to help you write what you love and earn what you’re worth.

James Scott Bell has made a living as a writer for nearly two decades, and shares with you everything he knows about the best practices for turning your writing dream into a reality.


My Review:

I read this book in 3 days. If I didn't have a husband and 4 children who wanted food and clean clothes all the time, I would've finished it sooner. It's been a while since I've read a book on writing that has kept my attention as well as this one. I've read many books on the subject of writing and after a while it sometimes seems the same information is regurgitated in different ways by different authors.

However, I learned new things in this book. Tips I haven't tried before such as using a site with the sounds of a coffee shop as background noise while I write (FANTASTIC!). Also, methods for brainstorming that I haven't used in a long time, and frankly, forgot about, but work so wonderfully that I'm happy to be reminded of it so I can attempt them again. I've never heard of the LOCK system, so I'm eager to give that one a try. Personally, I enjoyed reading the sections on traditional publishing, self-publishing, and how to write a novella and short story the best. The examples used were excellent and informative.

Which brings me to the format of this book. The chapters are broken down in easy to locate sections, which I know will be essential when I re-read this (and I guarantee, I'll re-read this one). It's full of valuable information for both newbie writers and old pros. Perhaps the best piece of advice was given at the beginning of the book, how a writer should look at writing success as a game and not winning the lottery. That part lit a spark in my brain. Why hadn't I thought of it like that before?

The author's voice is entertaining to make this an easy, quick read, slowed down only by the need to jot down notes in a notebook. I wrote several pages of information I hope to make use of shortly. I'm the kind of writer who likes to try new ideas or methods to improve my writing. I'll never be finished with studying the craft, but finding a book like this one adds that little valuable something that makes me remember why I love writing so much.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment