Wednesday, April 3, 2019

When Writers Have Wishes #IWSG #writing


The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. 
The Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds! 
IWSG Asks: If you could use a wish to help you write just one scene/chapter of your book, which one would it be? 

If authors had access to a genie in a magic lamp, the wish would be for the next big idea that will sell millions. Something along the lines of selling books as popular as Harry Potter.

This question is more challenging. Help with just one scene or one chapter?

The method I use to write is part panster, part plotter. I have an idea and I write everything I know about it. Whether that includes characters, setting, plot, goals, action pieces, love scenes, whatever. It's always different with each book. Usually, I'll have most of the parts to the story together before I begin. Those missing bits will work out while I write the story. That's the fun of writing and it's also the hardest because inevitably there's always a part when I have to ask the question I absolutely dread...

What happens next?

I don't know.

I'm only the author. I'm simply writing down the images and dialogue taking place in my head. It's not like I'm deciding on what happens. I'm just a conduit that the Universe or characters or whoever is using to tell stories. They pop into my head and I record them to the best of my ability.

I don't make any decisions about what happens. That's out of my control. The characters are telling these stories, not me.

Unfortunately, I've set aside quite a few stories because I didn't know the answer to...what happens next?

Not forever.

Otherwise, I'd never have anything published! But I set them aside to cook a little. I need time for the Universe to send my brain the answer. Eventually, something pops in there. I might be cutting the grass, shoveling snow, taking a walk, taking a shower or even wandering the isles at the grocery store when suddenly an image or a thought or a line of dialogue will shock me into standing still and gasping aloud, "That's it!"

I've probably startled many customers into thinking I'm a bit looney tunes.

And each story is different.

Typically, I often get stuck on endings. I have brilliant beginnings and the characters have it tough throughout the story until the bitter end. How will they get out of the pickle they've found themselves in? How will they end up happily-ever-after. (I write romances, in case you're new here.)

Hell, if I know.

Sometimes it's a character's viewpoint where I get stuck. I have a WIP that is sitting on the shelf because I don't know what the heroine's brother is going to do. He's involved in the plot. I don't know what or how he does it, but he needs to end up at that exact moment, at that exact spot to save his sister. The book is completely written except for that one single scene.

I have a shapeshifter story that is waiting for an ending. Those poor lovers are torn apart at the moment and I haven't a clue as how they're getting back together.

In The Wolf's Bride, the story included in the upcoming Guardian: A Limited Edition Collection of Wolf Shifters, the heroine's occupation troubled me. I couldn't figure out why Madeline was doing the things that she did until I realized that, no, she wasn't a simple governess after all, but something so much more. I had the whole story figured out except for that piece.

In The Witch and the Vampire, the beginning was too similar to what happened in the prequel, The Witch and the Wolf, with both heroine's struggling through a blizzard to get to the hero's houses. Suddenly, in a flash of inspiration, I realized Melora Merriweather's carriage overturned from the icy roads and the hero had to save her, not meet her calmly at the door to his house.

And how to break Marianne's curse in The Witch's Kiss? Well, it took me two books to figure that one out.
If I could have help with those scenes where I don't know what happens next, that would be brilliant! I'd love to be able to write stories faster. I love writing and I hope readers enjoy my books, too. But I want the stories to be the best they can be and if I have to wait a little for the answer to work its way into my brain, then that's what I'll do.

Until I find that magic lamp.


Be sure to visit the other writers in the 

I write sensual paranormal and historical romances. Interested in learning more about my stories? Become a VIP Reader by signing-up for my newsletter where you'll learn about my new book releases, updates on my works-in-progress, writing tips, book reviews, contests, and other fun book-related info!

Happy Writing!
~ Tricia 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you do okay without a magic lamp. Patience helps I'm sure. ;-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of patience! But, I'd like to write faster. Get more projects finished. Still looking for the magic lamp. lol

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean, Tricia. I'm stalled on a sci-fi romance with a secondary character. It feels like he should be important, but I can't figure out how. Good luck. Give that genie lamp an extra rub for me. lol

    ReplyDelete