Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Finding Vocab Words in Novels #LongandShortReviews #BlogChalleng





This week's topic: Book with the most words I had to look up

I don't find the need to look up words in books often these days, but there was a time when I did. I think it was 9th grade Enlish class. My teacher, Mr. Palamar, gave us reading assignments. We were allowed to read a book of our choosing, but we had to list words we didn't know and their definitions as we read the book.

Out of the many books I read that year, I remember the most I had to look up was from The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. It was one of the first times, if I recall correctly, that I chose to read a classic novel on my own instead of having it as required reading for English class.

The reason I chose it? The Three Musketeers was made into a film that year starring Keifer Sutherland, Charlie Sheen, Oliver Platt, Chris O'Donnell, Tim Curry and Rebecca De Mornay. I wanted to read the book before I saw the movie. Because, let's face it. Books are almost always better than the movies!

Swashbuckling novel, filled with high adventure, royal intrigue and romance, relates the escapades of D’Artagnan and his three friends—Athos, Porthos and Aramis—and their involvement in the secret plots of Cardinal Richelieu and his beautiful but treacherous spy, Lady de Winter.

I'm so glad I chose this book! The Three Musketeers was an adventure I had not been expecting, filled with suspense, intrigue, twists and turns. I was hooked! Shortly after, I got a copy of The Man in the Iron Mask and The Count of Monte Cristo.

Who knew these old classics could be so adventurous and fun?

It was quite a thick book compared to some others I'd read at that time, so I guess that accounted for the increase in vocabulary words I added to my list. Also, out of all the books I read that year, The Three Musketeers was my favorite!

Nowadays, I don't have to look up as many words while I'm reading novels. Mostly, when I feel the need to look things up, its the modern day language that baffles me. I cannot tell you how long it took me to figure out what ROFL meant!!



Be sure to check out the other blogger's suggestions at ...


I write sensual paranormal and historical romances. Interested in learning more about my stories? Sign-up for my newsletter where you'll learn about my new book releases, updates on my works-in-progress, writing tips, book reviews, contests, and other fun book-related info!



You can Follow me on ...


BookBub | Amazon | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Pinterest Instagram


Happy Reading!
~Tricia



AMAZON

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed The Three Musketeers. I haven't read that classic yet. :)

    My <a href="https://lydiaschoch.com/wednesday-weekly-blogging-challenge-books-with-the-most-words-i-had-to-look-up/”>post</a>.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Three Musketeers is one of my all time favorites. The two movies with Charleton Heston, Michael York and Faye Dunaway is by far most closely follows the book. It has great humor too. https://pmprescott.blogspot.com/2020/09/wc-091620.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. ROFL! I agree. Never read The Three Musketeers. Guess I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for sharing. Here's mine. https://www.tenastetler.com/lsrs-wednesday-weekly-blogging-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that version of the book/movie. I should read the actual book one of these days. Thanks for the nudge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am particular fond of that movie version of The Three Musketeers because (unlike any number of other contemporary versions) they actually put some effort into teaching the actors sword-work. It's still stage fencing, but it's skillfully done and the particular techniques were individualized for the characters. Not surprising that you'd have to look things up while reading the novel, though.

    My answer is here.

    ReplyDelete