Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Reading Reviews #IWSG #readers #bookreviews

 


The first Wednesday of every month is officially 

The Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It's a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

IWSG Asks: Has any of your readers ever responded to your writing in a way that you didn't expect? If so, did it surprise you? 
I don't like to admit this, but I'm such an insecure writer that any reader who responds with a positive review surprises me! I have such a bad case of imposter syndrome, I think with each book I publish readers will see what a horrible writer I am and call me out. With every 4 & 5 star review my books receive, I breathe a huge sigh of relief.

I was surprised by my first one-star review. Not because I received it, I had fully expected to find one with my debut book. That first one-star review arrived with my third book. 

I was surprised by my response to it. I had been fearful of the complete and utter devastation I would inevitably feel. I was afraid I would never want to publish my books ever again because of some scathing remark from some faceless reader.

Instead, I laughed.

Yes, I laughed at my first one-star review. And surprisingly still, I continue to laugh at the critical reviews I receive. Not because I'm some diva writer who laughs in the face of adversity, but because I am so much more critical of myself. These one-star reviews can never compare to the criticism I give to myself.

Sometimes, I agree with the reviewer. They make valid points that I did not see. Yes, maybe that character wasn't as heroic as I intended. Maybe that scene did not fit the storyline. Good point. Thank you for responding.

Good reviews are great for stroking a writer's ego, but sometimes the bad reviews give a writer more insight.

Another surprise I received from a reader was when they labeled my steamy romance as sweet and wholesome in a review.

But, my paranormal romance was filled with sex scenes, hot and sensual, definitely with the bedroom door held wide open. Not what I would ever classify as a sweet romance. When I think of sweet romance, that bedroom door is held firmly closed.

I was puzzled. It took me some time to figure that one out. That's when I started discovering other books labeled as steamy sweet. It's not exactly the sex scenes that are the issue here. 

The love shared between the characters is sweet, tender and wholesome. The romance where they fall in love is sweet.

But the characters also share sexy times, too!

Sweet and steamy!

Yes, I got it! That's totally what I write! It took a reader's review to make me look at my own writing in a new way.

Be safe! Stay healthy! And keep writing!

Tricia 


Be sure to visit the other writers in the 

I write sensual paranormal and historical romances. Interested in learning more about my stories? Become a VIP Reader by signing-up for my newsletter where you'll learn about my new book releases, updates on my works-in-progress, writing tips, book reviews, contests, and other fun book-related info!


You can Follow me on ...



Looking for a little escape? Check out this book!

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I totally agree with the someone liking the writing shock. I don't think that ever goes away. And how interesting with the romance takes! Nice to meet you, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I saw a 5-star review I just assumed whoever it was gave everyone 5-star reviews. LOL. One day I clicked on their name and went to their site, and lo and behold they did not give everyone 5-star reviews. That was a shock. Happy IWSG day, Tricia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bad review that gives constructive feedback is the best type of bad review. I like your take.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Imposter syndrome is the worst! And it pops up in unexpected places. For several years I edited a literary journal, and part of my task was to choose poetry and prose for the magazine. That was fine when we first started, but as word got out we received more and more submissions, some from Big Names, and from people who had had literally dozens of works published in journals all over the country. I spent many a night fretting. Did I dare send a rejection letter to Mr. McFamousPerson? Would doing so destroy our journal? Would *not* publishing him be worse than publishing substandard work? And how did I, a neophyte editor, have the audacity to even form an opinion about this person's work?

    I got over it eventually, but it was a stressful time.

    ReplyDelete