Thursday, May 9, 2019

Great Books for Kids to Read






Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge hosted by Long and Short Reviews.

Today's topic: Books I Want Youth to Discover

I wish I could remember the book that 'hooked' me. You know, the book that grabbed you and made you realize with sudden clarity that you loved reading. For me, reading has been a part of my genetic make-up. My mother read to me as a child and as soon as I learned my ABC's I began reading Dr. Seuss to my younger brother.

I've had a book in my hand since way before Kindergarten.

It was normal.

Everyday.

I do, however, remember the first series that I absolutely loved and hooked me into reading more.

Sweet Valley Twins.

1304651

I was 9. My parents were planning our family's first vacation which was really just my mom and brother tagging along with my father as he had to go out of state to do training for work. We lived in a hotel for several weeks and while my dad went to work, the three of us went to the pool. On the weekends we toured the local sites and explored our surroundings.

It was the best vacation of my childhood.

My mother, being an avid reader, packed a bag full of books for her to read poolside. I needed reading for the drive. I read in the car when I was a kid. Before we set off for our vacation destination, I remember my mom handed me a brown paper bag filled with books that she bought while I was at school. I was so excited when I opened it up to find about twenty books in the Sweet Valley Twins series. I seriously recall jumping up and down and screaming my head off in excitement.

And I devoured those books. I ate them like candy. I read every one and then my mom had to buy more!

It was such a great feeling, loosing myself in that world. That's a feeling I want kids to feel, finding a book that grabs them, hooks them, and they become lost in a world of imagination. It's what will make them continue reading into a adulthood.

These are the books that I think might 'hook' kids into becoming avid readers.

   Ages Infant to 8 years

23772

Any Dr. Seuss book will do, but my favorite have always been Green Eggs and Ham, One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, Hop on Pop, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

44186 782693

Monster at the End of This Book always entertained me as a kid and now I read this story and it's sequel, Another Monster at the End of This Book to my children.

900065

The Berenstain Bears books have great messages for kids to learn about life, manners, good habits, morals and getting along with others told in an entertaining way.

949709

There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly is a fun and silly story that always get the kids to giggle. Now, there is a series of several more things the Old Lady has eaten.

32929

Goodnight Moon has become a classic to read to children at bedtime. I've read this story so many times to my kids that I memorized it. Now, when they ask for a bedtime story, if we can't find this book in the crazy mess that is their bedroom, I can tell it to them anyway.

774001

Amelia Bedelia always gets a laugh from kids as she tries so hard to get things right which somehow turns into an incredible mess. She has a good heart and does her best.

Ages 9 - 12

3

The Harry Potter series. Enough said, really. There's something about these books that hook kids of all ages and even adults. I'm proof of that. I took a year to read the entire series to my kids at bedtime and they loved every volume.

24784295481

Anything by Lloyd Alexander. However, I'd start with The Chronicles of Prydain. This is a series of fantasy books that truly capture your imagination.

I also fell completely in love with the Vesper Holly series. She's like a female Indiana Jones who has some incredible adventures.

125553

R.L. Stine is famous for his immense Goosebumps series. He's known as the Stephen King of children's literature. I discovered him with his Fear Street series which I think are more for teens, but worth mentioning.

281235

What paranormal fan would not fall in love with a vampire bunny rabbit? I devoured the Bunnicula series when I was a kid and now my kids read them.

768172529281

A Little Princess and The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett are both considered classic children's novels and rightly so. Both stories tugged at my heart and I fell in love with the characters.

Teenagers

439290

All of Judy Blume's books are amazing, but Tiger Eyes captured me at the most vulnerable moment of my childhood; after my mother's death. I connected deeply with the characters.

3473426

I'm not one hundred percent certain, but I do believe that The Three Musketeers hooked me onto classic literature. Up until this point, I hated being forced to read literature for school. After reading this (on my own, this book wasn't an assignment), I realized that these books survived through the generations of readers for a reason. They are really, really good! I quickly moved onto Dickens, Austen, Wilde, Shakespeare and the Bronte sisters as well as a bunch of others because of this book.

2429858

Which brings me to Emma by Jane Austen. This was the first Jane Austen book I read. I'm so glad that I picked this one first. This story really captured me. I was entranced by her writing and really felt like I was living life alongside Emma as she tried to play matchmaker. Out of all of Austen's books, I know many readers who love Pride & Predjudice, but my absolute favorite is Persuasion, followed quickly by Sense & Sensibility.

10210

I was pulled into Jane Eyre's story by page one. This book was a page turner for me and opened me up to the darker side of literature. It's a haunting love story that will forever remain in your heart and mind.

5907529015

I actually fell in love with The Hobbit when I was in 6th grade. My Reading teacher, Miss Dries, had us read the story aloud during class and then we watched the animated movie after we finished. I loved Bilbo, Gandalf and Thorin.

Not long after, I began reading The Lord of the Rings. I was a little disappointed that the main character was no longer Bilbo, but his nephew, Frodo. But, I forged ahead. Until I got to the point where something tragic happens to Gandalf. I won't say what. Spoilers for those who haven't read it, yet. I was so upset that I completely stopped reading the story. I just couldn't continue. My heart was shattered.

Years later, The Lord of the Rings was released as an epic three-part movie directed by Peter Jackson. I wanted to see it, despite knowing what happened to Gandalf (or at least, I thought I knew what happened!). As I watched The Fellowship of the Ring in the movie theater, I remember getting to the scene with Gandalf and then afterward, I didn't know what happened next. I hadn't finish reading the book! It was nail biting to watch.

After I finished watching the movie, I went home and immediately began reading the books again. And I'm so glad I did! The books are amazing! The movies are incredible, but there's so much more in the books. I devoured each one and then reread The Hobbit again.

31580812

I read the Emily series by Katie Maxwell, aka Katie Macalister, when I was an adult working at Waldenbooks. I thought they were hilarious and I knew many teenagers who read and loved them. Recently, I saw that Katie has rewritten and updated Emily's life for a more mature audience with You Auto-Complete Me. I haven't read it, yet. It's on my TBR list.

2800905 11765920

Again, I discovered Kelley Armstrong in my 20's while working at Waldenbooks, but I continue to read every single one of her books which includes her young adult series Darkest Powers and Darkness Rising. I think, as a teen, I would have devoured these books.


There you go! I hope you might have found something to capture your interest and imagination! Until next time!





I write sensual paranormal and historical romances. Interested in learning more about my stories? Sign-up for my newsletter where you'll learn about my new book releases, updates on my works-in-progress, writing tips, book reviews, contests, and other fun book-related info!

You can Follow me on ...





Happy Reading!
~Tricia

5 comments:

  1. This is a great list. You came up with a lot I hadn't thought about. Nice. I LOVED the Sweet Valley Twins/High/Etc books. I read those as fast as I could find them. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My days as a bookseller exposed me to a lot of books! I love recommending them.

      Delete
  2. Great choices! The Chronicles of Prydain were on my list as well... and most of the books you mentioned would be on a more extended list. So many books, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot here I haven't read. I'll add them to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choices all! Thanks for joining us this week :-) My post is here: http://jhthomas.blogspot.com/2019/05/wednesday-weekly-blogging-challenge_8.html

    ReplyDelete