Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Checking Off Goals on the Path to Success #IWSG #writinggoals


The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day.
The Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!


IWSG Asks: What are your ultimate writing goals, and how have they changed over time (if at all)?  

Everyone has their own version of success and their individual way to reach that ultimate goal. It's rare to hear overnight success stories that are truly overnight. Typically, those "overnight" success stories took years to reach. And to reach that success, those people used mini-goals as stepping stones on their path.

A writer has to take mini-steps on their path to writing a book such as writing a page a day to reach a goal of 365 pages. A runner takes mini-steps before running a marathon such as running short distances and then gradually increasing that each time they run until they can reach that marathon length goal.



It's mostly about determination and plain stubbornness as well as having a successful mindset. Do you want to succeed? How badly do you want it? Do you want it enough to work at it for a long, long time? Whatever ultimate goal you have will undoubtedly take longer than overnight to reach. But, by creating mini-goals that lead up to that ultimate goal, you can give yourself a list of successes on that long path.


My ultimate writing goal is to have a successful writing career. My version of success is to be able to pay my bills with the money I make from writing. Financial independence is nice.

As my ultimate writing goal has remained the same over the years, I've had many mini-goals that I hope will one day lead to that major success.

These are a few of the items I've accomplished on my goal check-list over the years that I believe will help me reach my ultimate writing goal to make money with my books.


  • To write a well-crafted novel - I simply wrote for fun for many years before deciding to study the craft of writing, so it took some time before I felt confident that I had the ability to write something that didn't belong in a box under my bed.
  • To submit a manuscript to a major publisher - I submitted my first partial manuscript to Dorchester Publishing when I was 18. I got a very nice rejection letter with helpful tips to make my writing stronger. The editor encouraged me to keep trying.
  • To submit a story to a writing contest - I had submitted several poems that won awards and honorable mentions, but I was ecstatic to get 3rd place for the Gothic Romance Writer's Haunted Hearts Contest in 2008.
  • To have my own author website - Shortly after I got "the call" from my editor at The Wild Rose Press, I invested money in myself by buying a domain name and creating a website for my books. You can check out my website and let me know what you think.
  • To create and maintain a blog - I've been blogging for years. I believe this has helped me reach readers, but it's also connected me with other writers and authors which is a wonderful community where I can network and feel welcome. 
  • To publish a series - The Wild Rose Press has published The Merriweather Witches, my Regency-era paranormal romance series. 


There are still many mini-goals on my list that I haven't reached, yet. I hope to add them to the accomplished column one day soon! The way to reach success is to get there one step at a time!

Good luck!


Be sure to visit the other writers in the 

I write sensual paranormal and historical romances. Interested in learning more about my stories? Become a VIP Reader by signing-up for my newsletter where you'll learn about my new book releases, updates on my works-in-progress, writing tips, book reviews, contests, and other fun book-related info!

Happy Writing!
~Tricia

4 comments: