Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Silly... or Not so Silly Pet Peeves #LongandShortReviews #BlogChallenge


This week's topic: My Silliest Pet Peeves


I'm sure I have some silly pet peeves, but as my brain is fried from this lockdown, I can only think of two pet peeves and it's because of my children.

I don't know if these are considered silly or not (maybe by some people who don't have kids), but here goes...

1.) I can't stand when there's stuff on the floor in my house. I don't mean stuff that's supposed to be there such as a coffee table, sofa or a box of toys (insert my 14 year-old's sarcasm with this one), but the other stuff. The stuff that has a home and it is not the floor. Like blankets, toys, books, paper, legos... 

The list can go on and on in my house. I find such random things on the floor and it boggles my mind how it gets there. Batteries, headphones, the TV remote, puzzle pieces, socks, erasers, pencils, candy wrappers, a soda can. 

I mean, really?? Do we not know where things go?

Also, I might need to put this in perspective for those of you who don't know me. I have four kids. Count 'em. FOUR. Between the ages of 14 and 5. And I also have this mysterious kid who always gets blamed for stuff. I have yet to meet this one, but the poor thing gets blamed for everything. Such as when I found the crust of a peanut butter sandwich under the coffee table. Every one of my children exclaimed, "It wasn't me!" So who does that leave? 

Yep. Some kid named, I Don't Know.

It's a never ending battle in my house to get my kids to pick up after themselves. I seriously feel like if I don't follow them around all day long, reminding them to put things away, they instead simply toss whatever item is in their hand over their shoulder and the action is mysteriously wiped from their brain.

Don't get me wrong, my kids are amazing! They are really wonderful kids. Well-behaved, polite, kind-mannered... for other people! When we visit friend's houses, I always get compliments on how my children pickup after themselves and they are so neat and clean.

Well, obviously, there's some sort of mutation that begins in their brains when they enter my abode, because neat and clean they are not!

I just want to be able to vacuum the living room floor without having to spend an hour picking up stuff first. And what's with all the tiny, itty-bitty pieces of paper? Where does that even come from??



2.) I make my bed every morning, and I wish (pray, dream, envision, beg?) that my children make their beds every day, too. (Yeah, that doesn't happen.)

I think a bedroom looks better when the bed is neatly made. The rest of the room could be disorganized chaos with everything else (bookshelves, night stands, dressers, etc), but if the bed is made, I feel somewhat content and I feel like I've accomplished something first thing in the day.

Yet, despite my continued efforts to make my bed every morning, invariably throughout the day, I need to make it again and again and again.

"Why?" do you ask.

Because for the last 14 years, I've had children growing in my house and they seem to find some appeal in destroying a neatly made bed. 

Not theirs... mine

Whether its because of bouncing or playing hide-and-seek or some other inventive game-play, my bed is somehow made an integral part and the neatness of my blankets, quilts and pillows is inevitably destroyed as a result.

Friends and family promise me that one day, I'll miss having stuff on my floor and my bed a constant heap of blankets and pillows. One day, my kids will all be grown and living lives of their own and my house will remain neat and clean.

And I hope each of my kids has children just like themselves!

Of course, if it goes on as such (and I'm lucky enough to live that long), I'll be a grandparent one day and I'll probably have grandkids at my house throwing stuff over their shoulders without a second glance and bouncing on my bed to see who can go highest. So I don't foresee my life changing much.

Life with children.

I love it. I love it so much! (Seriously, I do!) But it will drive me crazy one day.

Is it any wonder why parents go gray??

Okay, my little rant is over. Go about your day.


Be sure to check out the other blogger's suggestions at ...


I write sensual paranormal and historical romances. Interested in learning more about my stories? Sign-up for my newsletter where you'll learn about my new book releases, updates on my works-in-progress, writing tips, book reviews, contests, and other fun book-related info!
You can Follow me on ...


BookBub | Amazon | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Pinterest Instagram




From shapeshifters to vampires to witches and wizards, this collection has something for every fan of the supernatural.

Heart of a Phoenix includes all the best in paranormal romance, urban fantasy, and reverse harem romances from today's hottest New York Times, USA Today, and award-winning best selling authors!


13 comments:

  1. Your story about your children always wanting to jump and bounce on your freshly-made bed made me giggle.

    My <a href="http://lydiaschoch.com/wednesday-weekly-blogging-challenge-my-silliest-pet-peeve/”>post</a>.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, that's hilarious! Don't have kids but loved this post!
    My post: https://whiskeyonmykindleblog.wordpress.com/2020/04/22/wednesday-challenge-my-silliest-pet-peeves/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know where the itty bitty pieces of paper come from, but my tot used to leave them all over when he was younger. Drove me nuts. And the legos...I swear they mutate over night and multiply. So yep, I get it. :) Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wife would make my daughter clean up her room and watch her. Ten minutes later and it was like a bomb went off. My son was always a neat freak and wasn't a problem that way. Grandkids lived with us for a few years and it was a pleasure. http://pmprescott.blogspot.com/2020/04/wednesday-challenge-042220.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it Tricia!! As a mom of 3 grown children, it does get better and those grandkids can can never do any wrong (most times)��

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, I'm sorry but I found your post very amusing. My kid is grown, so i can laugh out loud at your pet peeves. I enjoyed the laugh. One thing I have to agree with is where the heck do those little pieces of paper come from? Thanks for sharing, I truly enjoyed your post. Here's mine. https://www.tenastetler.com/lsrs-wednesdays-blog-challenge-4-22-20-silliest-pet-peeves/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your post! So funny! I totally get it with the kids. I would love for the floor to be clean for more than ten minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel you on the first one. I have three cats and there is always something on the floor that shouldn't be. Especially since one of my cats loves produce. If I don't put my tomatoes in the refrigerator (which I hate to do), she'll get on the counter in the middle of the night and carry them off. I'll find them in the living room or on the stairs full of teeth marks. *sigh*

    And the second one... my older daughter, she's 20 - TWENTY! - likes to jump onto my bed, grab the covers, and ROOLLLL to the other side of the bed, wrapped in my bedding. Did I mention she's 20?

    Hahaha... gotta love having kids. :)

    My post

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cleaning your house when you're raising children is like shoveling in a snowstorm. Just when you get done, you look back and it's all just like when you started. We had 4 kids in 5 years. The pandemonium was exquisite! But they're all grown and moved out now. I'd give anything to step on a Lego again.

    BTW, I stopped making my bed or expecting them to, when I read that dust mites, those little creepies that co-exist with us, eating our discarded skin cells, love it when you make your bed. It keeps them all warm and cozy, waiting for you to be in it again. If you leave the bed unmade, some of them will die due to exposure. And no, it wasn't one of my kids who told me that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, much like Fiona, can remember getting up more than once in the night and stepping on a Lego. I actually miss those times now believe it or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahaha! So enjoyed your post, Tricia! My child, "I Don't Know" in our family was not fully named until all the children were adults. Then the truth unfolded. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved this, Tricia. Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep. There's a reason I don't have children.

    ReplyDelete