Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Take It One Day at a Time #NewYearsResolutions #WritingGoals #LongandShortReviews

 

It's been a while since I've participated in the Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge! Well, I'm back! I've always enjoyed blog challenges, and this one was always one of my favorites. I missed last week's topic which was to share my goals for 2023 which I did in another post.

This week's topic: What I Think of New Year's Resolutions

I enjoy making New Year's Resolutions, but I don't think it's good for everyone. So many people make tremendous goals for themselves only to find them too overwhelming and then quit halfway through January. 

Quitter's day falls on January 13 this year if anyone was curious. Yes, I looked it up.

I've found making small, more achievable goals is necessary for my success. Yes, I would love to write 20 books this year! But can I actually do it? Being a single working mom of four kids? No, probably not. It might be possible for some people, but not for me.

Ten books? Maybe. If I push myself, I know I can write a book in a month. But I don't want to do that every month. Although rewarding, writing a book is equally exhausting. I'll need to plan some breaks in between so my brain doesn't implode. And if I fall behind, I don't want to get upset with myself either.

So I'm not going to start the year telling myself I'm going to write ten books. Ten seems overwhelming to me. I have anxiety, depression and procrastination issues. Ten in a year is intimidating knowing what I'll have to go through to get that done. I don't want to set myself up to fail.

So, I'll trick myself, or more like ease myself into it. Well, let's try for five, I can definitely achieve five, but I'll push for ten.

That sounds better.

Five is doable. I know I can write five books this year. I've done it before. Then I'll re-evaluate where I am with my goals quarterly and readjust if necessary. If I can squeeze one more than five, it's celebration time! Even more than that? Hooray!!

I'm making five my goal because I know I can do it.

But to start off, I'm focusing on only one book at a time. I'm not going to even think about the rest.

Each month, I'm giving myself three weeks to write and one week to take a break. I'm planning to repeat this process throughout the year. Hopefully, it will stick. On paper, it looks good, especially because I have so much other stuff going on.

But if I fall behind because life gets in the way, no problem! My goal is five books. I'm good with that. I'm not going to get upset if I can't do more. I want to have fun with this. If it starts feeling like a chore, I'm not going to do it.

Will I get ten books written? Will I even get five done? Who knows? My life often comes with unexpected plot twists that I need to work around. But I'm breaking up my goals into smaller, more manageable chunks. One month at a time. One week at a time. One day at a time.

By the end of the year, hopefully, I'll see progress.

Goal-making isn't for everyone. And it's not even necessary at the beginning of the year! You can make goals anytime! Or don't even bother with goals at all! It's up to you! It's your life. Your sandbox. Do what you want! :)

I want to have fun with my writing. Ultimately, that's my main goal. I want to create stories that feel fun to me. Create worlds where I lose myself and fall in love with the characters I meet there. I want to bring joy into my life through writing.

The finished books are actually a by-product of my success with my goal of having fun with my writing. As long as I'm having fun with my writing, it really doesn't matter to me how many books I write.

Be sure to check out the other blogger's suggestions at ...


I write sensual paranormal and historical romances. Interested in learning more about my stories? Sign-up for my newsletter where you'll learn about my new book releases, updates on my works-in-progress, writing tips, book reviews, contests, and other fun book-related info!


You can Follow me on ...


BookBub | Amazon | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Pinterest Instagram


Happy Reading!
~Tricia

8 comments:

  1. I like the way you think. Yes, small goals are better and much easier to achieve.

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Smaller ones so they are achievable. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making goals a challenge, but also attainable is a very good plan. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that people often forget that taking time off is not only recommended, but necessary to being a happy, healthy human. It's all or nothing, penalties for whatever perceived failure they've managed. But I like your outlook, it sounds like it works well for you.

    My post

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you have fun writing! I am just learning that I love to write! I started my blog not really thinking too much about that part, to be honest! It is so fun to see my post come together. Having fun and enjoying your work is the best part!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bite-sized goals are the best! I mean, that's really a sensible and realistic approach. I'm not much for New Year's Goals in particular, but setting a couple of reasonable goals that you can follow through on seems much more manageable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you on this. If I set myself a mammoth writing task, it would never get done.

    ReplyDelete