Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge: New Things I've Tried Recently

 

This week's topic: New Things I've Tried Recently

I like trying new things whether it's food, books, movies, or traveling to new places. You never know when you will discover your next favorite (fill-in-the-blank). It's part of what makes life an adventure!

Food:

I'm a chocolate lover. I'm always happy to find new chocolate to eat! :) Shortly after Christmas, I found a bar of extra-dark mocha chocolate in the discount section. It was so yummy with bits of coffee flavor mixed into the bitter dark chocolate. Better yet, my kids are not fans of dark chocolate like I am (the darker the better for me!), so when they asked to try a piece, they didn't care for the taste. That meant more for me! Unfortunately, I think it was just a Christmas-gifty kind of thing, so I'm not sure if they stock this chocolate on a regular basis at the store. I'll have to remember to check next time I'm there.

Books:

I love finding new authors to binge on! In 2022, I found three! I stumbled upon K.M. Neuhold while reading an anthology. I love anthologies! It's a great way to discover new-to-you authors. She writes M/M romances that are both steamy and sweet. Another M/M romance author I found is Robin Lynn. She has quite a collection of fan fiction which I adore, but recently she released a title of her own called Fire & Ice. I grabbed it right away, and I hope she continues to write more. And for nonfiction, I found a book called 7 Figure Fiction: How to Use Universal Fantasy to Sell Your Books to Anyone by T. Taylor. The title certainly called to me. 7 Figures? Yes, please! I found this book so interesting that I've read it twice. It's really made me think about how I write my fiction and what readers take out of it. I definitely recommend it for any fiction writer!

TV/Movies:

I've recently discovered two new-to-me shows that I'm simply crazy about!

The first one is new on HBO, but it's not exactly a new story to me. Kinda. Years ago, my husband (at the time) bought a new Playstation 3 for himself. With it came a game called The Last of Us. I enjoyed watching him play certain video games that had storylines that interested me. (I am a huge Uncharted fan although I've never once played the game!) Since this was a new game, he started playing The Last of Us to give it a try. He didn't play it for long. The main character Joel and his daughter were just getting into the town when my ex decided he didn't like the game and stopped playing. But I was interested in these characters, and being a fan of apocalyptic stories, I wanted to see more. Unfortunately, not enough to play the game. My gaming skills stopped with Pac-man, Tetris and Super Mario Brothers. So, for years, this story remained unfinished in my mind. 

I was super excited when I heard that HBO was filming The Last of Us. And with Pedro Pascal as Joel! Oh, I thought he was perfect! (Yes, I'm a Mandalorian and Game of Thrones fan, too!) This news interested my 16 year-old son. He already knew of my interest, so he brought his Playstation 4 into the living room so I could watch him play. Finally! After all these years of waiting, I know what happens to Joel and Ellie. Last Sunday, HBO released the first episode of The Last of Us. I was thrilled that they kept the characters and the storyline so close to the game. It was heartbreaking, breathtaking and nail-biting! And I can't wait to see more!


Since I have to wait for the next episode of The Last of Us to release (one episode every Sunday... Ugh! The wait!!), I decided I needed another show to watch. So, on Monday, I was scrolling through Netflix, looking for something to interest me when I found The Blacklist. I've heard of this show. I've seen a few clips and I knew James Spader played in it. I loved James Spader in his role as Daniel Jackson in the movie, Stargate, although he's not on my auto-watch list. With Netflix's little preview portion, I watched the opening scene of the first episode of The Blacklist where James Spader as Raymond Reddington walks confidently into FBI headquarters, requests to see Assistant Director Harold Cooper, then calmly sets down his briefcase, slips off his jacket to fold over his briefcase along with his hat, then waits in a room full of people. When the lady at the desk gets the notification that she is talking to a criminal on their Most Wanted list, the alarms sound and men with guns surge into the room. Reddington simply places his hands on his head and slowly gets onto his knees. 

I was so intrigued by this beginning. Who is Reddington? What has he done? Why has he turned himself in? So many questions! I had to find out more. My 15 year-old son and I started watching The Blacklist on Monday. We're only up to episode 11 in Season 1, so no spoilers! But I am so hooked on this show! The storylines are intriguing, the characters are compelling. It's filled with action, suspense and mystery. It's definitely addictive! I can't believe I haven't watched this show before now!

That's enough for now! As you can see, I love talking about the new things I find, too! What have you tried new recently?


Be sure to check out the other blogger's suggestions at ...


I write sensual paranormal and historical romances. Interested in learning more about my stories? Sign-up for my newsletter where you'll learn about my new book releases, updates on my works-in-progress, writing tips, book reviews, contests, and other fun book-related info!


You can Follow me on ...


BookBub | Amazon | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Pinterest Instagram


Happy Reading!
~Tricia

19 comments:

  1. I just saw the first episode of The Last of Us a few days ago. It was so good! I’ve never played the game, so I can’t compare the two, but I am looking forward to seeing more.

    And I do the same thing with buying dark chocolate so it’s only mine to eat. LOL.

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could play it. It looks fun! I just don't have time to learn a new hobby. lol

      Delete
  2. I wish I was as into trying new things as you seem to be, because you're right, the next new whatever is just around the corner. I'm looking forward to The Last of Us, though, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Blacklist is a good series. I'm stuck with sugar free chocolate, it's not bad, but not as diversified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sugar free chocolate is better than no chocolate.

      Delete
  4. Hopefully that chocolate isn't seasonal.

    I never watched Blacklist, but I remember several people I knew did and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd heard it was good, too. I'm really liking it right now. I'm so glad binge-watching is a thing now. And no commercials! Even better!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the head up about the shows... putting them on my list to check out. And, I would be with your kids... I'm a milk chocolate kinda gal. My thoughts are here if you want to stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! You have great new things! There is no chocolate that I dislike! I love watching my son play video games, so I can relate to you enjoying that program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of interesting story lines in video games these days. And with the graphics getting more lifelike, it's almost like watching a movie.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you've tried a lot of great new things! I love dark chocolate, too. So delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Books and chocolate are hard to beat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So Beautiful Wife and Secondborn watched the first episode of The Last of Us, and... apparently traumatized our dog in the process. Apparently there's a moment where the dog in the show gets scared, and our dog sat straight up, looked at the screen, and then just buried his head in Secondborn's lap. Not quite paws-over-his-eyes, but close.

    Seven Figure Fiction looks really interesting, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! Your poor puppy! I know what scene you're talking about. It's an scary moment. It was great how they got the dog to whine like that in that scene. Really added to the suspense!

      Delete
  10. I also love dark chocolate, and need to have it again very soon.

    ReplyDelete